I was born in the desert

  

The nation of Israel wandered in the desert for 40 years.  The disobedience of their forefathers put this burden on them.  I’ve often heard that God will “ send you around the mountain again” if you don’t learn your lesson the first time.  Excuse me, but that’s crap.

We are human beings that keep working on something until we’re satisfied with the outcome or we are desperate for change.  God has better things to do than to monitor my learning process. He leads me, but he doesn’t make me feel stupid if I don’t “get it” the first time.  

If you were a teacher , a good teacher. You’d develop patience and you’d try every way possible to communicate with your student.  

That was free.  Anyway, I’ve been thinking about the children of promise that were born during those 40 years. Their ancestors lived with God directly leading them through dry land where water was, fresh water from a stone… He was a patient teacher and showed them over and over again who he was (is). The desert generation heard about all of the miracles.  They heard about the cloud by day and fire by night. They didn’t see the crossing of the river on dry ground. 

When it was time to go into the land that God gave them, they were strong and ready. 

I’ve seen videos of Catherine Coolman, I’ve seen  films of revivals through Billy Graham.  But I was not present when these miracles happened; I was born in the desert. I’m 59 now and I have asked God for freedom in my body. I’ve survived a lot of horrible events that would have killed most people , but I haven’t seen what the generation before me saw. 

What do I do? Do I believe in God when I haven’t seen his miracles? How can I look at my life and say that I’m blessed.  

Yes. Good things have happened. Yes, I’ve grown as a person. Yes I’ve been delivered of emotions crippling barriers in my life. But I haven’t experienced the promised land I’ve been told about. 

I believe that Jesus Christ died and rose again. I believe He is my Savior , but my desert experience has been hard . I hold onto the promise of a land of my own. I dream of a better life  But I’m not seeing what I expected. 

Maybe that’s the problem,  I was provided for in the desert, then I was told to fight for what I was promised. 

I think the generation before me was very good at expecting miracles, but I don’t feel like they prepared me for the fight. 

Preparing for a promise and preparing for a fight are two very different methods of training. 

I’m a fighter. God himself put that in me. But I have to tell you that I’m tired. I’ve been moved so many times, from different cities and states that I don’t know where home is.  Just like Israel I’ve wondered in the desert hearing stories about a promised land. 

Maybe this is too honest. 8 don’t know. But it’s not grumbling and complaining. I’m seeking His rest.

I’ve survived snd I’ve coped.  But I have to tell you that needing oxygen 24 hours a day and having a knee that collapsed for no reason at all are not my promised land and I can’t pretend that  it is. I’ve learned to cope.  That’s not what I seek. I seek the Lord and Bis mercy.  I seek his hand to heal my body and renew my youth like the eagles. But I’m still waiting in the desert. 

I have a vision of what will be.  but I have t seen it yet . If you’re a child of the desert too. I’m guessing you’re tired of hearing that God is great and you’re ready for that promised land. 

Are we in the process of learning to fight? Are we being t trained for a brighter future? I hope so.  Hearing a machinr pump oxygen into my lungs 24 hours a day and dealing with an oxygen tank are not blessings. People are so crazy . They say “well at least you can breath” I’m Supposed to be grateful for that? I have friends with MS, should they be grateful that they have to fight every day?

It’s time that we were told the truth.  Everything is not roses and sunshine.  Life is hard.  I don’t know what the promised land looks like.  I get discouraged. I get angry. I get tired, but I hold onto hope of a place prepared for me where the struggling will end.  

If you feel the weight of the world on your shoulders right  now, take a deep breath. The desert will either make or break you, but losing hope will kill you.  

So, what’s the answer? I have no idea, I was born in the desert. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day