Coping with loneliness

This time of the year comes with a mixed bag of emotions and there is a divide between happiness and solitude. It’s very difficult. People either feel lost, forgotten or rejected or they are euphoric.

I was sick Christmas Day. I spent the day in bed. It gave me a chance to think. I missed my family with all my heart and the question “who is there for me” was very distressing.

Then I had another thought   This lightened my heart. I can’t control who is “there” for me but I can control who I am “there” for. I started thinking of the people’s lives I have touched. I thought of the difference I’ve made. Nothing major. But there are people on this earth that know I am here for them. I’m a good listener, I offer advice when asked, people leave my presence feeling loved and hopeful. People in my life know that if they need me I’ll do whatever I can to help. If it’s a listening ear or compassion I have that. I may not have money they need or even the advice they seek. But I do have ears that hear, a heart of compassion and a hug should they need it. You see, trials come and go. , but Consistent love is hard to find.

This year instead of focusing on what I lack I focused on what I give and how I make the world a better place. I can’t control anything or anyone else.

Someone gave me the greatest gift this year they wished me love that would fill my life with good relationships. They gave me hope. What is your most treasure gift this year? Is it a thing  or is it more? Is it tangible or intangible? I can hold a piece of jewelry in my hand but I can’t count on it to comfort me.

This year I realized that one of the most selfless gifts I received was a dog maned “Lincoln “. He chose me. He comforted me. He was here when I came home. He added so much to my life. The greatest way I can repay him is to simply treasure all that he was. He’s safe in my heart now. I won’t see him again this side of Heaven, but his effect on my life will last forever..

When you feel alone or neglected, turn the tables and see how many people you make a difference to. They are everywhere. They are family? they are strangers, they are clerks in a store , they are someone you loved through a smile. Give what you have and be satisfied that it is enough and that your kindness will make a difference.

I wish for you this year satisfaction in the love that you give with knowledge that you do make a difference. I wish for you to have reciprocated love throughout your life. Nobody can steal it and it is always the perfect gift.

Be loved and love now and in 2020. May you see clearly the effect you have on those around you and may it be enough to sustain you when you feel alone. May your path be clear and your footsteps sure. I wish you love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day