What if the miracle is now?

I have heard one particular phrase most of my life. There was even a song or two written about it. One particular song was entitled,”Don’t Give Up on the Brink of a Miracle.” A truly inspirational song with a wonderful message of holding onto hope.

But what I want to talk to you about today is not tomorrow’s miracle... today was full of miracles too. Can you think of something you’ve longed for, prayer for, hoped for and now it’s yours? Maybe it was a child, a home, a car, a mate, a dog, a horse... still waiting for my horse.... Just sayin’.

I remember trying to get through college. I dreamt of the day that I’d walk across that platform with my own two feet and shake the Deans hand and get my diploma.  Do you know what the Dean whispered in my ear as I crossed the platform? He said, “well deserved.” That was a miracle. When I had my senior recital and needed to sing 13 songs from memory, while standing and I’d had bilateral Bell’s palsy, double pneumonia with lung failure and had been given a drug in the hospital that disturbed my mental capacity to learn and to function, hope and a recital were the furthest things from my mind.

I remember walking into a class and crying because I couldn’t read the words in the book. My professor thought I hadn’t prepared.  So he suggested that I go into a study room and read. I came back with tears streaming down my face and said , “I can’t read.” The words were no more than dots on a page. Thankfully he didn’t give up on me... maybe I was his miracle? I had another professor teaching me piano and opera and music history. During all the upheaval I would have moments when I just couldn't concentrate. He said, “Barjeana I just don’t understand. You sit down and play a piece of music perfectly, then you play it again like you’ve never seen it before.” He was right, but he held on and... maybe I was his miracle too? The month before my senior recital I came into my voice lesson looking like a comedy/drama mask. Half of my face was frozen shut and the other half was frozen open. When my voice teacher saw me her face turned pale  and she said,” what are we going to do?” I replied, “I’m going to do my recital even if I look like this.” She held on to me and even though I was propped up by a stool next to the piano I sang every song and remembered 99% of the words. There were German songs, Italian songs, sacred songs, Broadway musical songs, a song I’d written... a very long list of songs. I would take a break here or there to get some water and sit for a minute . I sang those songs from my heart leaning against the piano. People had no idea what was going on. Matter of fact one person said, “I’ve never seen a person stand in one place and command the attention of an entire room. Miracle?

When I was growing up I dreamt that I’d have four children. Two girls and two boys. After my two daughters I got pregnant again. I was partially thrilled and partially terrified.  I didn’t know if I was ready. Unfortunately I lost that baby and it took me years to recover, but one day the Doctor told me, “you’re going to have a son!” I cried. I knew this was the son of my dreams. Was the child I lost my fourth child? I don’t know.  I’ll find out when I get to Heaven, but after suffering such loss...to be blessed with a son... it was a miracle.

My daughters were miracles too. With my oldest daughter it looked like I’d never get pregnant. It was very discouraging. The pregnancy was difficult. I had severe morning sickness even after she was born. I was in labor for 25 1/2 hours... back labor.  If you’ve ever experienced that you know it’s horrible. Xman rubbed my back for so long that I had huge bruises.  Nothing helped and this was during the time when women were supposed to be brave and endure labor. The doctor came in to see me. I was weeping silently. He asked me what was wrong. I said, “can you please do something?” He did and a few hours later my oldest daughter was born.

When I found out I was pregnant with my second daughter I was in a lot of pain. It was my birthday. The doctor told me that I had a cyst that was threatening her life and that if I woke up with a sharp pain I was to go to the emergency room. One morning I shot straight up in bed and yelled in pain. We got to the hospital and the Dr said, “the cyst is gone and your baby is okay,” miracle?

Miracles are everywhere. Look around you. I think we are so blinded by our hopes for the future that we miss see the miracle of the present.

It’s no small miracle that I’m here sharing these thoughts with you.  I wasn’t supposed to be alive, the odds were stacked against me in every way possible. Yet, here I am. I have three amazing children and four beautiful granddaughters and I’m here to see them. Miracle? I think so. So, what do you have today that you had little hope of having yesterday? It’s your miracle! Open your eye to the miracles in front of you...don’t miss one.

Miracles are not a one time event. They happen continually. Keep your eyes open and don’t dismiss one of them. Rejoice in the miracles that are with you today. Trust the Lord that he hasn’t stopped creating more miracles. But while you’re waiting for tomorrow’s miracle, don’t forget what you already have today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day