Generation Millennial



Clocks: The big hand is on the 5 and the little hand is on the 6. Can you tell me what time it is?

Guess what? I've found many individuals that can not tell time this way. WHAT?

I heard one of them literally say, "I don't know what that means." Welcome to the digital generation.

Here's another one: Please sign  your name in cursive.
Response: "I don't know how."

I thought the generation gap was big between my mother and I because she didn't understand the words to the songs I listened to on the radio. I thought the generation gap was huge when my mother couldn't understand my new hair style....it wasn't even a different color....just parted differently.

I thought the generation gap was even bigger when Bell Bottom Pants came out and my mother didn't want me wearing them...they were too sloppy. Or how about when "ripped jeans" became a thing? I think people could hear the shudder from my mother, "Why would you buy a pair of jeans that already had holes in them? Why would they charge you extra for the holes and tears? " Well, to be honest with you, I still don't get that.

I went to the store the other day and saw a pair of white jeans. They had embellishments sewn into the fabric. I thought that was very cool....yes, I still say "Cool". Then I took them down and looked at the price tag....$200.00! Not kidding and that was not at the most expensive store either.

So I figured I could  go to Wally World (you know what I mean) buy a pair of jeans for $20.00, sew "blingage" onto them and mine would look better than the $200.00 pair. I have yet to try it. I don't really like to wear white jeans, especially in the winter. Not because it's a "Thing" either.

Yes I've heard the saying, "Don't wear white past Labor Day!" Do you know why? Because the season changes and it starts raining and white soon becomes brown. It's not a fashion statement, it's self defense!

Seriously, while I was recovering from the many surgeries I had from cancer I purchased some white tennis shoes. Now, let me remind you that I had no idea how to drive, I had no idea how anyone else knew how to drive. I had no idea how anyone could follow those double yellow line. I mean, "After all, how did they know what was coming up next?" Not kidding.

So, needless to say, I was doing the very best I could with what I had. I mean, I could look at a book and had no idea what words were. There were just different shaped spots on a piece of paper.

I had been in a drug induced coma for 5 1/2 weeks. But I was brave, I was strong and I was stubborn!

You'll never believe what happened next.... I still don't believe it.

Okay, so I was brave, I was bold, I went to church with a beanie on my head and oversized clothes because I'd lost so much weight and it hurt for clothes to even touch me, but there I was...in church. Then it happened: I heard a lady behind me laugh and say, "And she's wearing white tennis shoes!" Really, that was a thing? A thing? Really???

I don't know how I got onto that subject, but it is a bit odd and hopefully you got a laugh or two out of it.

So, I'm working with this new generation. What amazes me is that they are listening to the same songs I did when I was growing up. They actually know the lyrics! I'm beyond myself. It cracks me up when I start singing along and their eyes get really big, "YOU KNOW THIS SONG?" I'm like, "I was there when they wrote it!"...lol

We had an interesting game last night. A group of us were playing Kahootz.com The subject was "90's music". I did not know one of the songs.... not even one. Then someone chose "80's Music"...nope, not one song. Someone else chose "Harry Potter!" Nope, I got some right because I'm a very good guesser, but nope....dumb as a brick.

I thought to myself, "What have I been doing all of these years?" Then I remembered...I'd been busy finishing my education, taking care of my dog and myself, moving into three different houses from one state to the other and recovering from cancer and a car accident. I had no idea I had missed so much information.

I think it's okay. This generation needs me if their digital clocks go down and they need me to read the "Declaration of Independence." I have found a new relevance!

Have a great day!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day