Sorry Son

Have you ever taken a stand on an issue, been adamant about your convictions in the situation and ended up being absolutely wrong! If so, you will relate to this misadventure.

Divorce is hard! Separation is hard. In NC you are required to be separated for one year before the divorce is granted. I understand why. They hope for reconciliation. That’s a good thing in many cases but how many of you know that when something important ends, waiting is the hardest part. It’s like something died but you can’t bury it.

When something dies, often, something new is created. It’s often a beginning of a journey.Well during my journey I felt the need to take ownership of certain things. I wanted to defend what I believed was mine. No, not in the way you might think. I wanted to stand up for something worth standing up for. At this particular event it was my son.

He was performing in a concert and it was quite crowded. There was a balcony and there were people talking. It was really annoying because I couldn’t hear my treasured son and his music. I was a pretty meek person. You know, let it be kind of thinking. But this was my son! He had worked very hard and I wanted to hear it.

The noise in the balcony got louder. So, for the first time in my life, between breaks I loudly said to the band director, during the concert, “Would you please ask those in the balcony to be quiet. I can’t hear my son.” This was HUGE for me. I was taking ownership! I felt amazingly powerful....until...
It got suddenly quiet and the band director announced that those speaking were the “JUDGES” and they were supposed to be discussing the event.. There were quite a few laughs and I felt as though I had just embarrassed my son, to the MAX.  Fortunately for him, I had never been that bold so nobody seemed to realize who my son was. Oh, but he and his friends knew. How he came out of that without scars still amazes me.

I laugh about it now, but at the time I felt as small as a tick and as horrible as one might think a mother could feel. BUT the ‘judges” quietened down so who really won? Well, unfortunately it wasn’t my son. Therefore I apologize to him for embarrassing him. But really , I just wanted to hear my son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day