PTSD and the Egyptians

There is a story in the Bible that is an awesome illustration of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). The Hebrews had been slaves for 400 years. They didn’t start out that way. Joseph was the second highest ruler in all of Egypt when the children of Israel moved there. However, as they grew in number, the Egyptians became afraid of the them as a people. The blessings of the Lord were overtaking the children of Israel and the Jews were seen as a threat. This scenario has  replayed itself over and over again throughout history.

But for now let’s look at the “great escape” as I like to call it. Pharaoh had released the people, then changed his mind. The children of Israel saw pharaoh coming and were afraid. After all they’d been slaves for such a long time. They probably had a very difficult time thinking of themselves as free.

So, as I said, pharaoh and his full army were approaching a nation of slaves. I wonder if they were afraid that pharaoh would just kill them instead of taking them back to Egypt. The Bible doesn’t say, but I bet that thought came to their minds. I would have wondered.

There they were, behind them was Pharaoh, in front of them there was the uncrossable Red Sea.  God had just delivered them. They were spared of the plagues. They had seen the angel of death pass their homes, but they still didn’t know God. Their parents had forsaken God long ago. (According to the Bible)

PTSD causes a person to perceive that they are trapped between pharaoh and the Red Sea. The fight or flight response becomes heightened only there is nowhere to go and no way to fight.

I’ve seen victims of PTSD react in this manner. It’s as if they are experiencing the same traumatic event all over again. I’ve also seen the effects of continued abuse. In both situations the reaction is similar.  The person doesn’t know whether to fight or run. Usually they end up either hiding or remaining still. There is no one in the present to fight and nowhere in the present to run. Reactions to PTSD are not limited to these responses I’ve described. The point is that the person is experiencing trauma all over again.

How do I know? I’ve suffered from this experience. Throughout the many cancer surgeries I had a tube down my throat to help me breathe. I was in a drug induced coma, but I could still feel, think and hear what was happening around me, I just couldn’t interpret what was happening,  For example: I remember nurses laughing around my bed. I’m sure that they weren’t laughing at me, why would they? But my mind interpreted their laughter as something evil. I believed they were trying to kill me. That wasn’t really happening, but in my mind I was experiencing it as if it were truth.

Sometimes when I dream I relive that tube being down my throat. In those dreams I am helpless and I can’t talk.  Is it all happening again? Am I unconscious and literally helpless? No, but in the dream I’m experiencing those moments as if they were happening as they did the first time. Sometimes I wake up and I’m in a state of panic. Is it real? Am I trapped between pharaoh and the Red Sea ? No, but my mind tells me that I am. It takes courage to face those dreams and nightmares and say, "NO" this is not happening again!

This is s pretty accurate description of the symptoms of PTSD. The trauma simply repeats itself in the form of nightmares or panic attacks or lucid dreams or even flash backs.

In some cases PTSD  can be caused by a repetitive experience of abuse.  An attacker has gained power over them and they are left feeling helpless. If the abuser came and and tormented them again they were  trained to respond by  doing nothing due to a threat or lie . Sometimes after the abuse is uncovered people ask, why didn’t you fight back? Sometimes the victim gets accused of willingly participating. Trust me, they're not. Often times they are in shock. Ten people might be around during the abuse, but if the abuser is subtle nobody is alarmed. It’s learned helplessness.

Since my car accident many years ago I have awakened from dreams about driving a car that has no brakes. In the dream it felt very real and when I woke up the feeling of helplessness lingered. I have learned to take charge of my thoughts and tell myself , “this is not real, it is not happening now.” I have learned to regain my peace and go about my day. It has taken practice and time to recover.

 For a few years after surviving cancer I fought fear on a daily basis. The Doctors didn’t expect me to live and even told me so. They also told me that if the cancer came back there was nothing they could do. Talk about an opportunity to be afraid ? So, if symptoms would present themselves fear would rear it’s head and say, “ you’re going to die.” Guess what? I’ve outlived my diagnosis by 16 years. Fear has lost its daily grip on me. The threat has not become less real, but my min no longer jumps to death as the first conclusion of sickness.

During the surgeries I experienced vivid night mares. As I said, I thought the Doctors were trying to kill me.  One time I was so convinced that the nurses were trying to kill me plus I believed the tube down my throat was leaking and I wasn’t getting enough oxygen that I reacted in full fight mode. I used my tongue to work the breathing tube out of my mouth. The nurses laughed and said I was lucky I could breathe on my own. I didn’t feel too lucky,  was afraid.

The point is that I was trapped in a drug induced coma, I wasn’t sure what to believe. Just like the children of Israel. I wasn't sure if God had brought me to a place of death. I'd heard all sorts of stories about God, I knew Him to the degree that I understood Him, but I didn't know Him beyond the behavior I'd come to expect. He was both loving and dangerous to me.

Jesus Christ was Lord of my life, but my mind had not really been introduced to Him. I had perceptions of Him, just as Israel did. I'd seen His hand, just as Israel had. But I wasn't sure what His motives were.

Do not feel condemned if you don't understand His love because of the way others have treated you. You may have been a slave and just didn't know any better. Jesus wants you free, just like God wanted Israel to inherit a land beyond their wildest imaginations.

There is a choice to be made though. You can run back to Egypt and let the abuse continue or you can step out onto that water in hopes that the land will be dry? Our choice will determine the outcome. This is faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day