Knocked off my horse, again?

Some people are just a  “sucker for punishment“, or so I’ve heard it said. I guess that’s a way of explaining why people will make the same mistake over and over again. However, there is a flaw to that thinking.

What if we do the same thing, but do it differently each time? Are we still a "sucker for punishment", or are we growing?

So, here's a story of a time when I fell off my horse and you decide whether I was a "glutton for punishment" or did I gain something that can never be taken from me?

I've never owned a horse in my entire life, but I've loved them beyond reason. Charlie was the last horse that I had the privilege to know. He was awesome! He was amazing! He was...as stubborn as a mule. There was this three mile trail ride and I wanted to go really bad, but I didn't have a horse. So, I was instructed that if I could get Charlie ridable I could go.

Charlie was a cart horse and had raced in his earlier days of life, but at age 25 he was put out to pasture and he wanted to keep it that way. But...then comes the challenge. I'd been working with him to a degree. I think that everyone around me was waiting for me to give up or to  yell or scream or cry, but not me. Nope, I was going to win Charlie's heart if it killed both of us!

Charlie didn't want to do anything that Charlie didn't want to do. He was very certain that he did not want to go through the gate. He was certain that he didn't want me to put his harness on him. He was certainly not going to let me be in charge. No, he had decided!

The only thing more stubborn than Charlie was me. I chased him through a huge pasture. I learned to trick him into coming to me with fake food, after I used real food.  I used every trick I could think of because Charlie and I had a trail to ride!

I even used jealousy there were a few other "old guys" in the field (horses) that were with him. I captured their hearts. I would talk to them, bring them food and finally Charlie had enough, he wanted to know what this woman wanted. So, he came up to me and I got his harness and coaxed him into walking to the barn with me. I never had to pull him or get upset with him. No, he knew that he was stronger than I was, but I think he was playing along to see what I would try next.

I got him saddled and rode him and worked him in the round pen every day for about a month. He fought me, but we worked through it. Well, one day we went on a brief trail ride and I discovered something that Charlie did not like...water. There was a puddle in the middle of the path and he decided he was NOT going to go through that water. I held on tight and persuaded him to go through the puddle. This was one of our first battles of wits.

One day he decided he was not going out of the gate. I held on tight, dug in my heels, so to speak and told him to "walk on!" He jerked and argued, but I remained consistent. I found out later that everyone in the barn was watching to see who was going to win this war of the wills.

Charlie didn't know that I was a cancer survivor and that he was like a prize bull in my eyes. I loved him, but I wasn't going to let him win. So, as I held my ground, we walked through the gate. The next time we came to a puddle, he put the brakes on and I again, held on and said, "Walk on!" with my forceful voice.

Now, let me put my voice in perspective. I'm a musician and a soloist. So, when I sing I use a whole other set of vocal chords. But when I'm talking....well, let me tell you one of the most beautiful backwards compliments I was ever given. "If butterflies wings made a noise that's what your voice would sound like." It sounds incredibly lovely until you think...um..white noise? It kind of blends with the background and God help you if I'm talking to you and you have a hearing problem. I hope you read lips.

So, I guess my point is that when Charlie heard this booming ,"Walk on" it got his attention and onward we went. So back to the puddle. Charlie had heard the booming, "walk on" through the gate and he'd given in, but this was a PUDDLE! He was not going to go through that puddle.

You know when you have a feeling that something is going to happen and you hold your breath? Well, I didn't know what was coming, but I held that horn (western saddle) as tight as possible as Charlie jumped that puddle, Since I was holding on, I just laughed and we carried on. The good news is that we got through the three mile trail ride without incident and all was right in the world. I was so very happy.

Charlie and I bonded and as time went by I actually got him to go into a man-made lake with me on his back. He started to swim, I shouted with joy and that was it. SUCCESS!!! Man I loved that horse.

I would take him out on a trail ride and sing to him and he'd sing back. He'd do this little bass part with a huh, huh in rhythm with my song. My favorite Charlie song was "You are my Sunshine." Only I inserted Charlie. "You are my Charlie, my only Charlie, You make me happy when skies are gray..."

When I rode Charlie I could feel the power of that horse that once ran as hard as he could. I could feel that race horse heart beating in his bones. A couple of times I just let him ride. It was such a beautiful experience. I think Heaven must feel like that...freedom, wind in your hair and a hefty steed under you. We were one with the wind. It was beautiful.

One fateful day I went for a trail ride with other riders. It was a beautiful day and I was thrilled to be riding my new best horse friend. Unfortunately the saddle I used was being used by someone else that day. But there was an old Civil War saddle that was available. Man that thing was cool, but if you've ever seen one it's like riding a bunch of bones. There wasn't an ounce of padding anywhere. The stirrups were set, but there was no where to really grab onto. Of course I didn't take this into consideration. It was a beautiful day and I decided that Charlie and I should have a race of sorts, He put his heart into it and I held on for dear life. Then came the problem...I said "whoa" and he did. Only the saddle and I kept going. I slipped out of that puppy like I had oil on my boots.

I landed on my left side near a fence and there was Charlie. Now, if you've ever seen someone fall off of a horse you know what happens next can be life or death. Charlie was as surprised as I was. Some horses react with stomping their owners when they are in shock. They don't mean to, it's just their nature. They don't know what to do. Not Charlie. He stood right by my side and wouldn't let anyone get near me until my barn buddy showed up with a cart to carry me off.  Charlie also hated that cart. He wouldn't ride next to it to save his life, but that day there was no way he was going to leave me.

My friend took his reigns and I got into the cart as best as I could and we headed for the barn, then to the hospital. Charlie stayed in step with the cart and wouldn't walk away until I was gone. I loved that horse. He was like  oxygen to me.

It wasn't Charlies fault, it wasn't anyone's fault that I fell off. I broke some ribs and it took a long time to heal, but I got back on Charlie as fast as I could. It was re-assuring to both of us. We were fine. My friend, however, she was not as fine. She wouldn't let me out of her sight. If I was on Charlie, I was within ear shot of her. I love her for that. I also wanted her to walk away so Charlie and I could play.

Now, I can tell you one thing. I will NEVER ride a horse using a Civil War saddle. I will not use an English Saddle (how in the world do you hold onto...well, nothing?!)  So, I guess I learned a lesson. If you're going to ride, make sure you are prepared and are using equipment that you are familiar with.

Shortly after that experience with Charlie I was in the car accident and the Doctor didn't think I'd ever be able to ride again. But I did. I rode with Charlie and I will never forget him. I stayed close to the barn, but I enjoyed every moment of singing to that boy. It was a part of my life that will live on long after I pass on to the next.

A couple of years ago Charlie passed away. My heart was broken because I loved him so much, but he was really suffering and I knew that his life had become torture. I cried and cried and even volunteered to be there when he was passing onto the next life, but it was suggested that it would be better for me not to be there. I still love that horse. I will miss him always.

Was it foolish to get back on Charlie after falling off and injuring myself? Was it foolish to get back on him after the car accident?

You'll have to decide for yourself. All I know is that I'm still here. I enjoyed Charlies life until he no longer enjoyed it.

It hasn't been easy and I don't expect it to be. I'll miss Charlie for as long as I live. But we had days in the sun. We had days with the wind flying through our hair, I gave him baths then  he rolled into the mud, I chased him around a field, I won his heart and he won mine. No, not foolish....beautiful.

Am I a "glutton for punishment"? I think not. If you've been knocked off of your horse so to speak I encourage you to get back up and ride until you can't anymore. I believe that one day I will see Charlie in Heaven and we will ride together with a saddle made just for he and I. We will jump puddles and race  the wind.  I wouldn't have had any of those moments if I'd  given up... So, consider your equipment, consider the cost and grab those treasures even when it looks ridiculous to do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day