You look pretty good for... 70!

You look pretty good for 70

Have you ever had someone give you a compliment only to realize it was back handed?

Sometimes they intend to be cruel and other times their mouths just  spit out unfiltered words.

This has happened to me a few times. I usually just laugh. What else can you do?

I am a musician, among other things. I have a Bachelors Degree in Vocal Performance with a concentration in piano.

I’ve been singing most of my life. It all began when I was 2 years old. We were in church a lot and I just had this urge to participate. Some people may call it vanity, but I just loved the way it felt to open my mouth and hear music come out.

So, as I’ve mentioned previously my mother is an excellent pianist. She also sings. She can play the accordion, calliope, pipe organ and regular organ.

So, when I was young I had a full time accompanist. She would play and sing and I couldn’t help but join her....good times.

When I was two I got my first chance to sing solo. It was probably, “Jesus Loves Me,” but I was hooked! I played my first piano piece in first grade and it was something I made up on my own. Like I said, destined to be a musician.

I’d sung for concerts across the United States, in Canada and even Norway. I loved every minute of it.  I’ve directed choirs, taught voice and piano and loved to sing difficult songs   ( is anyone hiring? Lol)

Well I had an opportunity to sing for a church in the Houston, Texas area and I pulled out all the stops. I think that’s organ terminology. There were stops on organs to keep the sound contained and change the vibrations. Well, it sounds right to me... ha!


I got up to sing, “More Than Wonderful “, as sung by Sandi Patti. I was prepared and excited and ready for the challenge. One thing about singing is that it means nothing if it doesn’t come from the heart.

So, I sing the song with everything I had. People told me how much it touched their hearts, but one person had a very different opinion.  He came to me excited and said, “that had to be a recording. You just aren’t that good.” I looked puzzled as he was smiling and said reluctantly, “thank you?” I had to laugh because he was so thrilled.  Wow, that just happened.

How many of you are proud of your birthdays? Well, when you live through hell each birthday is kind of a big deal. So, when I was about 35 I showed up to work and laughingly said, “ I look pretty good for 21 don’t you think?” I’ve looked younger than I am for most of my life. Sometimes that’s good and other times not so much.

I was not ready for the next backhanded complement. The supervisor said, “You look great for 70.” Thus the title of this blog. I admit I was a little stunned then I laughed along with her.

Another time I was performing in front of a class for a workshop. I was singing , “The Impossible Dream,” from Man of La Manancha,” and had put a spin on it to bring it to life. I sung it as a testimony to the human spirit and determination. The class erupted in clapping. I was thrilled not only because I didn’t mess it up, but also because I could tell the students got the message.

After my performance the teacher gave a review. Mine went something like this. “ This goes to show you that when you’re acting you don’t have to sing good.” What? I later asked what he meant because I was pretty much trying to sing well.  We laughed about it because he was trying to introduce the ability to story tell  through singing to the other students.

The funniest part is when someone says something like that when  they realize what they just said a look of horror comes over their face. I think that’s the funniest part.

The latest event was when I was auditioning for an alto part. Since I am trained I picked a song that not only displayed my range, but also my ability to play and sing at the same time and include emotions to compel those listening.

After I finished there were several. “Wows”. Yes, I had accomplished my goal. They heard my heart and saw my talent. I sang a very well known song. I can’t give you the title because the person that said it might read this. But suffice to say it was a very well known hymn.

I’ve struggled with nerves since all of the surgeries I’ve had, but I was pretty confident until the inevitable happened. One of the people I sang for said, “ that’s a beautiful song! Haven’t I heard that somewhere before?” Doom flooded my soul as the next phrase came out of his mouth. “ that’s just not what we’re looking for.”

My opinion only, contemporary music is a strange animal. After years of learning how to make my voice as good as it could be and own my voice I’ve discovered that isn’t what is “selling,” in this market.

I understand it to a degree, but find it a little sad. The popular voice has very little vibrato and even less expression. There’s a lot of dancing around, and it’s high energy, but it sounds the same,  my opinion. I have even noticed that many, not all, of the songs sound so much alike that you can take a verse from one song, put the chorus from another song with it and you’d never know they were two different songs.

The funny part about that deduction is that it happens in every generation. A singer or musician comes up with a popular sound and inevitably ten more musicians copy it.  It’s a type of flattery. Even Bach and  Beethoven had this experience. The goal of a lot of musicians is to repeat wonderful performances with their personal spin on it hoping to make it their song.

I must say that I do that. When I sing, for example, “The Lords Prayer,” I pause and reflect, I use dynamics. I feel the song. So, this phenomenon of copying is not new. However to the generation before it all sounds the same. That cracks me up.

When I was playing hymns for a Methodist church the pastor would pick a different hymn each week. This kept me on my toes until, I realized that several of the songs used the very same melodies.

Of course there are the greatest songs like, “How Great Thou Art,” that can not be duplicated, but many of the others sound the same. So it is in this generation. A great song takes what is relevant to the time it’s written, but expand on its form, make it just a little different with meaning and it becomes a hit!

So, when someone gives you a “ compliment”, try to hear their heart and not accept it as an insult.  Sometimes their motivations are not pleasant but most of the time someone just opened their mouth and put their foot in it.

So, here’s my last example. I’ve recorded hymns on YouTube. I’ve sung songs that I’ve written as well, but I just love to play hymns and add my spin to them.  My goal is for this generation to hear the words and experiences the music as if it were just written.  I must do a pretty good job for someone to say, “ I know that was a recording because you’re just not that good!” You have to laugh... or you might as well

Back to my story. I was recording hymns from the piano and posting them on YouTube. Yes, you can search for them...I’m the only Barjeana you will probably find.

So, I asked my piano instructor to listen to a couple of them. I was quite proud because I put feeling into them and also made them soft and relaxing. Oh and should you look for the YouTube posts you will  ogives that I had blue hair for a while, but that’s another story.

So, after my piano teacher listened to my music she  got a pained look on her face and said, “ That all sounds like funeral music.” Yep she did,. So I sum up this blog by saying, “it really doesn’t matter what someone else thinks about your gift or your age, etc. it matters most about how you feel about it and be determined to express the best part of yourself.”

In closing, ( preacher terminology) People have asked me what age I would go back to if I could and my reply is, “ I don’t know, I haven’t had my favorite birthday yet!” Be the best you, you can be and smile when someone just doesn’t get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day