Well, that just happened!

Do you ever wake up and consider it, “The day after?” It could be the day after a bout with depression where the world is just not right,  Maybe the day after a difficult blow to your budget. Or the day after a failure.  What about a day after a stupid fight?

Let’s narrow it down. Have you ever experienced a “moment after”? You know, when you go, “ wow, just put my foot in my mouth and it stinks?”

I think everyone has days after and moments after trivial events that cause excessive aggravation. I’ve had my share. I remember one day, I was working at a fast food restaurant... talk about stress. Oh man, you take an order, make an order, call out an order and do it all over again hoping you can be faster the next time. The next time someone gets your order wrong try a little kindness. Take the order back and smile and say “oops, something is not quite right”. People will be more likely to fix their mistakes when pointed out in kindness. Go ahead and make somebody’s day.

As I was saying, I worked in the fast food industry for a very long time. I was good at it. But there were moments when I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
For example, it was the afternoon shift and it’s usually not that hectic so there were only two employees handling that shift. However that day we were extremely busy and it was just me and one other person. We did not always “hit it off” if you know what I mean. I was the kind of person who just buckled up and did what needed to be done. She wasn’t as focused as I was or as fast as I was. She probably didn’t have the drive for absolute perfection like I did.  She’ll probably live a lot longer than me. Perfection will kill you.

 As I said this coworker and I were not copacetic. We saw things differently. Where I saw a challenge she saw hopelessness. After about 30 minutes of us butting heads and trying to get orders out we were at each other’s throats. Together we stomped into the managers office ready to blast each other out of the water. The funny thing was that by the time we got to the managers office we couldn’t remember why we were angry and started laughing. The manager gave us a look  like we'd lost our collective minds and we just turned around and went back to work. We had a “moment after” and realized that what we’d been angry about was really nothing at all.

So, as you for move forward look at  each difficulty with a new perspective. Is there a jewel mixed in with what looks ridiculous? Is there something you will laugh about later? If so,  seize the opportunity and laugh. Seize the day makes sense when you realize the next one may suck.

I hope your tomorrow is bright and beautiful, but if it sucks, just laugh, you get another one tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I believe I can fly, but I’d rather not

Anxiety and Seeds

He’s just having a bad day